Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Travel Gear Review: Collapsible Daypack

When I’m traveling, I like to keep a small backpack with me while I’m on a plane. This is to keep important/expensive items (passport, money, camera) and travel items (book, earplugs, dramamine) safe and accessible. When backpacking, this becomes a little inconvenient (have you ever tried carrying two backpacks?). So, when I arrive at my destination, I like to put everything into my large backpack, including the other backpack. Anyone who backpacks knows that space is a premium, and the lighter the load, the better (your shoulders and hips will thank you). The first couple times I backpacked to Europe, I took a backpack I already owned, which was bulky and a pain to stuff into my large backpack. So before jetting off to Costa Rica, I decided to look into my problem.

And, I found a great solution: collapsible backpacks. They are designed to be light and scrunch up into a small space. After doing some comparison shopping online, I chose the REI Stuff Travel Pack (http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack).

Reasons I chose this pack:

  1. It has a drawstring close, rather than a zipper. I thought it would be easier to keep things from slipping out, and I wouldn’t have to worry about a broken zipper.
  2. It has side mesh pockets to hold a water bottle or anything else I want to keep easily accessible.
  3. It was cheaper than most, costing $29.50.
  4. It’s made of ripstop nylon. It feels like it’ll stand up to some wear-and-tear.
  5. It will protect belongings from light rain. I always get rained on at some point.
  6. It’s a good size for me, large enough to carry my camera, a book, and a few other small belongings.
There are lots of other options out there, so you might want to do some looking of your own before choosing the collapsible daypack that’s best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment